Showing all 3 results
Professor Alphonse Legros RE 1837-1911
Painter of portraits, landscape, genre and historical subjects : etcher, lithographer, sculptor, medal designer, teacher. Born in Dijion apprenticed to a builder and decorator. In 1851 he moved to Paris where he worked as a scene painter, studied at the Ecole Des Beaux Arts . Exhibited at the Salon from 1857 where a profile portrait attracted the attention of Champfleury leading to him being drawn into the group of so-called “realists”, and he appears in Fantin- Latour’s portrait group ‘Hommage a Dalacroix’. In 1859 he exhibited Angelus which lead Baudelaire to call him a “religious painter gifted with the sincerity of the Old Masters”. Encouraged by Whistler Legros moved to London in 1863, while in London he was appointed Teacher of Etching at the South Kensington School of Art and in 1867 Professor of Fine Art at the Slade School, a post he held until 1892.
Legros exhibited at the RA from 1864-1882, GG, NG and at numerous other prestigious galleries. He was one of the founder members of the Royal Society of Painters, Etchers and Engravers.